The Walk

Exactly a year ago, I had one item added to my Bucket list. Today I'm proud to tick it off my list. My earlier blog "The Run" was about a dream, and this one "The Walk" is about that dream coming true. For the past few months I had been silently cherishing and nourishing my dream of taking part in the Chennai Marathon. The seeds had been sown last year, and friends were nurturing through words of motivation. But my excuses of getting home late and fear of hurting the already damaged knee took over the desire to run. 

A week ago I got an offer to run in the place of a friend who had injured her leg. I accepted the offer, but was not quiet sure I would make it. I was no athlete, nor did I have any desire to run. But I wanted to experience being part of such a major event, the second largest Marathon in the country that witnessed well over 10000 people running or walking. 

On D day, I was wide awake waiting for the alarm. I kissed my little champion, who had gone to bed in tears over why kids were not allowed in the Marathon. How I wished I brought home a medal to see the spark in her eyes, but 'that was beyond my means' I thought. I reached the YMCA grounds around 5.15 am, we walked almost a kilometer to reach the starting point. The crowd seemed insane, warming up and dancing to the tunes of the organisers during the wee hours. The start line was declared open at 6 am; the momentous event was unfolding. I had made up my mind to walk steadily at my own comfortable pace, and enjoy the whole experience however long it lasted. I was hoping to complete between 6 to 7 kms. 

It felt really refreshing to walk on Mount Road during the early hours. It was gleeful to have the trafficdiverted to allow us to progress, with onlookers staring at the green wave of people like we had landed from Mars. I looked around and noticed that some people were busy updating statuses and posing for selfies, while others meticulously ran in a structured manner looking onward, backward, sidewards etc. There was an infectious energy and excitement in the air. I was glad I didn't carry my smart phone; to me this was to be experienced and recorded in memory I thought. I noticed fellow SGians clad in blue overtaking me. 

It was amazing how beautifully the whole event was organised. There were about 12500 people split between different levels, but the flow of the crowd was managed so well. The cheer leaders and NCC cadets did a neat job of serving refreshments and boosting energy with their slogans and music. There were young musicians, from local drummers to sophisticated drummers who added vigour and zeal. 

I was perplexed I made it to the 7 km mark without feeling too tired, except that my feet was beginning to ache. I took the calculated risk of walking another 3 kms, even if that meant my legs would hurt for two days. I reminded myself of the bucket list and moved on. I turned around just to make sure I had people behind me. That was the best part, I could see a sea of green clad runners and joggers behind me, and thatkept me going. Watching the finishers taking a U-turn to reach the finishing line served as the energy drink for the last few miles. During the last leg of the run I found my friend whom I lost touch in the first mile, and we together walked the last mile to reach the finishing line. It was a proud moment; collecting the medal and posing with Virat Kohli (in picture though!).The photo has a visible smirk; I was reminded of the Tortoise from the famous ‘Tortoise and Hare’ story I had watched with my little one the previous week. 

"Do More... Start Running" goes the Chennai Marathon slogan. Do More.. Live your dream, I tell myself. 

Comments

  1. Your blog gives me the feel that I have participated in chennai marathon. Beautiful course of words. I am a big fan of your writing Remya. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice that you a made it and you made us feel that we are also behind you in that marathon...gud blog...keep writing...I will follow you... cheers up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent note, even yu have reminded me again of those days. I think now once gain the time has come.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My dream for my daughter

Tia

The Power of Music