My lark



"She is as happy-as-a-lark", I told my friend who enquired about how my daughter was coping with the lockdown woes.

"What do you mean by lark, Mamma?"
"Lark is a bird, baby".
"Oh I didn't see that in my Birds book. How does it look? What colour is it? Is it big like vulture or small like sparrow? And why is it happy, like me!"

Now that was like a surprise Biology test. I had no clue what a lark looked like; lucky me I remembered it was a bird.
"Let me finish this call and I'll show you how the lark looks and answer all your questions."

I bought some time to update myself, thanking Google God for the umpteenth time. Imagine if Google did not exist, where would I find answers to all these questions, and my daughter would easily think I was so dumb. We found basic details about the lark, and took a look at the pictures too. A drawing of lark was added to her daily sketch book. I told her that the lark, like her was happy all day and kept singing like she does throughout the day. Humming all day means you are happy and that's a way of expressing your happiness and spreading it too. I could see the sparkle in her eyes.

She keeps reminding me just how beautiful life is, how small things matter, how we can learn each day, to share that little knowledge with those around and make our life richer. The lockdown has definitely given me more quality time with my little lark and more reasons to smile. I only wish she continues to grow the lark in her.

Another pillar of influence in my life is my mother. Whatever it is I call as my strengths today, I realise I have learnt it from her. A humble role model and mentor, who never ceases to inspire and influence. If I were half as energetic and empathetic as she is, I consider that a feat worthy of pride.

Blessed to be a mother and daughter. Finally I found the answer to one question I had asked my mother many times during my childhood, "Why was I born a girl, and not boy?" I have found the answer, though a little later. For some reason, it feels more special to be a mother than a father.
I have learnt from my mother how best to lead my life, and I am trying my best to practise a lifestyle that I know my daughter will unconsciously emulate. That itself gives a purpose for my life, what more can I ask for.

Happy Mothers day.

Comments

  1. Awesome Remya.. Could connect with every small piece of detail.. Keep writing.. Happy mothers day dear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My dream for my daughter

Tia

The Power of Music