Sayonara Summer

Today we are having the last jackfruit of the season, the aroma of the over-ripe jackfruit permeated the air. This officially marks the end of summer, the end of chakka-kaalam and maambazha-kaalam (jackfruit season and mango season). For Keralaites, and specifically non-resident Keralaites- NRKs (a coin termed by my friend for Mallus who live elsewhere), jackfruits and mangoes are a nostalgia. It reminds us of our grandparents and cousins, summer vacations and monsoon weddings.  

After having spent fifteen months in Kerala, my longest time here, I can definitely say the summer that culminates in the monsoon (April-July) is the best season to live here. The mangoes and jackfruits are the only solace during the scorching summers. They silently tell us that by the time you consume all of us, the monsoon will be here. So dutifully we devour all the jackfruits and mangoes not just in their raw and ripe forms, but in their multiple avatars of chakka kandal, chakka varatti, chakka appam, chakka pradhaman, chakka koottu, chakka pappadam, manga perakku, mambala puzhusseri, kadumanga achar and the list goes on. We also have recipes like manga thokku, avakka etc. borrowed from neighbouring states.

As I stare at the jackfruit trees that stand tall but bare in the backyard, I know it is going to be a long wait. The gulmohar and konnapoo would be missed too. 

Just then I hear the rhythmic pattering sound of raindrops falling on the ceramic roof tiles. The pluviophile in me wakes up, my heart yearns all the good things that complement a rainy day. A good book, my canvas and brushes, a hot cup of coffee and some music is what will replace the chakkas and mangas. How I miss the Punjabi samosas! 

My little one is unusually glued to the news channel anticipating the much-awaited announcement during the monsoon. No prizes for guessing! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dream for my daughter

Tia

The Power of Music