The Story of the Nemesis


Roll of the Dice - Book review

Anand Neelakantan's 'Ajaya Book l- Roll of the Dice' was indeed unputdownable. The book is a tribute to the Prince of Kauravas and villain of Mahabharatha, Duryodhana and his aides. In his own words, Neelakandan had been drawn towards the anti-heroes in our epics, and this book is an attempt to give life to the silent heroes who have been overlooked in our uncritical acceptance of conventional renderings of our epics. 

Last month, when my nephew suggested this book as a good read, I was not quite sure I would complete it, as I have never really been enticed by the epics. Nevertheless I borrowed his book as a keepsake, a spare for a rainy gloomy day. I found the author's note compelling, as I could relate to his words when he said he was drawn to the anti-heroes. This book is Duryodana's Mahabharata, and also Karna's, and Ekalavya's, and Aswathama's, and Balarama's and Bhishma's, and the little known Jara's and Vidhura's. I found answers to many of the questions that arose in my mind as a kid watching Mahabharata on Doordarshan. 

I had never before been fond of Duryodhana, rather 'Suyodhana' as his real name goes; but had wondered why Bhishma the great supported him? Why Duryodhana backed Karna who had a valid claim, when none of the virtuous Pandavas or Krishna sided him? Why the Pandavas agreed to share Arjuna's wife, and how one could stoop to the level of staking everyone and everything in a game of dice. Why the Pandavas used divine knowledge from Krishna which was not available to their opponents to defeat them, was it Dharma or deception? I received answers to most of my questions through this book; without probing too much on the authenticity. To me it is but the other side of the story I have heard. In fact, the author has meticulously intertwined the stories of Bhishma's bachelorhood, Shakuni's hatred towards Bhishma and Gandhari who is torn between the love for her son and brother. The book denotes that Dharma is a complicated word, it means different things to different people. 

This book throws light not just on Suyodhana's virtues, but also on Karna's resilience, Aswathama's friendship, Ekalavya's determination, Jara's devotion, Vidhura's loyalty and Balarama's vision for his country and people, most of whom are not hailed as heroes elsewhere. The plight of a caste-ridden society which shunned the basic rights of the lower sections and the helplessness of powerful women like Draupadi have also been spotlighted. 

The downside though is that in glorifying the acts of the anti-hero and his aides, the author has sometimes neglected or vilified the Pandavas, Krishna and their acts, particularly Bhima who is portrayed as someone with might and main, but no brain. 

Overall, I would recommend this book as the characters and story appear believable; it would serve as a good read to open up new windows and perspectives. The narration is evocative and fast-paced, never allowing our mind to wander away. More than anything else, this book has reiterated the value my mother has always insisted upon, 'Never judge without listening to both sides of the story'. 

I am all eager and waiting for my copy of the sequel, Ajaya Book lI-Rise of Kali'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dream for my daughter

Tia

The Power of Music